- 750g small new potatoes, such as Charlottes, halved
New potatoes have thin, wispy skins and a crisp, waxy texture. They are young potatoes and…
- 2 small red onions, cut into wedges
- 1 head of garlic, separated into cloves
Part of the lily, or alium, family, of which onions are also a member, garlic is one of the most…
- 2 tbsp olive oil
Probably the most widely-used oil in cooking, olive oil is pressed from fresh olives. It's…
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 heaped tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 large red pepper, deseeded and cut into chunky pieces
- 2 large courgettes, halved lengthways and very thickly sliced
The courgette is a variety of cucurtbit, which means it's from the same family as cucumber,…
- few sprigs fresh thyme
This popular herb grows in Europe, especially the Mediterranean, and is a member of the mint…
- 4 large chicken leg portions
Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Mix the potatoes, onions, all but 2 garlic cloves and half the oil in a large roasting tin with seasoning to taste. Roast for 15 mins.
Meanwhile crush the remaining garlic and mix with the maple syrup, mustard, remaining oil and seasoning to taste.
Toss the pepper, courgettes and thyme with the potatoes, then arrange the chicken portions on top and brush liberally with the maple syrup mixture. Roast for 45 mins to 1 hr until the chicken is golden and sticky and the vegetables are tender. Serve with rocket or green beans.