Italian tomato sauce
Member recipe by phuddy48
- 3 Large Cloves of Garlic Finely chopped,
- 1 Medium Onion, Diced
- 2 - 3 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil,
- 2 Tins Diced Tomatoes/ 10 Diced Tomatoes,
- 175ml Red Wine,
- Handful Fresh Basil, Finely Chopped, If dried 1 Tbsp,
- Handful Fresh Oregano, Finely Chopped, If dried 1 Tbsp,
- 2 Bay leaves,
- 2 Tbsp Tomato Puree,
- Heat the Olive oil in a Large frying pan/Skillet until very hot.
- Add onions and stir until soft and slightly brown.Turn down the heat and add the garlic and Red wine. Leave for 1-2 mins.
- Add tomatoes, basil, oregano, and bay leaves, turn the heat down and leave to simmer for approx 5 mins stirring occasionally. If using fresh tomatoes allow them to reduce slowly, this will take approx 20 mins.
- Once mixture has simmered add puree and stir in, simmer for a further 5 mins.
- Remove from the heat and cool. Sauce can be refrigerated for use later on, If using for Pizza topping use a blender until smooth and spread on pizza using the back of a spoon. If using for bolognese, brown mince and add when ready.
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…