Indonesian lazy chillies
Member recipe by nikimorgan1
ServingsServes 1 - 1 Jar
This is called sambal oelek in Indonesia. Store in your fridge and use where chillies are needed in your recipes. Will last for months in the fridge!
- 200g small red chillies
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 cup (240ml) water
- Remove chilli stalks and discard. TOP TIP - wear rubber gloves when handling chillies to avoid any contact with your skin.
- Chop chillies roughly with a knife, or cut with kitchen scissors.
- Place chopped chillies in a saucepan, add the water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to low heat and gently simmer for fifteen minutes.
- Pour chillies into a food processor. Add salt, sugar, vinegar and oil. Blend until finely chopped.
- Allow to cool, then transfer the paste into a small clean steralised glass jar with a non-metalic lid. Store in your fridge.
We’d love to hear how you got on with this recipe. Did you like it? Would you recommend others give it a try?
Be the first to comment on this recipe…
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…