Cream of chicken soup
Member recipe by lyndsaymac
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 3 (900g) chicken marylands, skin removed
- 1 large brown onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 medium leek, trimmed, halved, washed, chopped
- 50g butter
- 1/3 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup pure cream
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Place 3 1/2 cups cold water, stock, chicken, onion, celery and leek in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, covered, for 1 hour.
- Transfer chicken to a bowl. Cool slightly. Remove and discard bones. Shred meat. Set aside. Strain stock mixture into a large heatproof jug. Discard solids.
- Melt butter in pan over medium-high heat. Add flour. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until bubbling. Gradually stir in stock mixture and cream. Cover and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium. Add chicken. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until soup thickens slightly.
- Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve.
We’d love to hear how you got on with this recipe. Did you like it? Would you recommend others give it a try?
Be the first to comment on this recipe…
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…