Member recipe by hotchocolates
ServingsServes 1 - 12 Cakes
- 110g/4oz butter or marg, softened at room temperature
- 110g/4oz caster sugar
- 2 free-range eggs, lightly beaten
- 110g/4oz SR flour
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- For the butter icing
- 140g/5oz butter, softened
- 280g/10oz icing sugar
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- a few drops vanilla extract
- Preparation method
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4 and line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases. Cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl until pale. Beat in the eggs a little at a time. Fold in the flour using a large metal spoon, adding a little milk until the mixture is of a dropping consistency. Spoon the mixture into the paper cases until they are half full. Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until golden-brown on top and a skewer inserted into one of the cakes comes out clean. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes, then remove from the tin and cool on a wire rack. For the buttercream icing, beat the butter in a large bowl until soft. Add half the icing sugar and beat until smooth. Then add the remaining icing sugar with one tablespoon of the milk, adding more milk if necessary, until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Spoon the icing into a piping bag with a star nozzle and pipe the icing using a spiralling motion onto the cup cakes in a large swirl. For strawberry cakes add a little strawberry sauce to the icing.
We’d love to hear how you got on with this recipe. Did you like it? Would you recommend others give it a try?
Be the first to comment on this recipe…
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…