Member recipe by gemmaxmayx
Gorgeous and moist coconut cake and so easy to make. Coconut milk can be substituted for cows milk and you can also leave out the coconut all together...but who would want to. Can also very easily be doubled for a lovely layer cake.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 3 1/2 tblsp desiccated coconut
- 3/4 cup coconut milk/ cows milk
- 3 eggs
- Pinch of salt
- For the butter cream
- 150g butter
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 2 tbsp coconut milk/ cows milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Toasted desiccated coconut
- Grease baking tin around 18 inches and set oven to gas mark 4
- Place desiccated coconut in the milk to soak, in a separate bowl separate egg yolks and whites
- Whisk whites until soft peaks start to form
- Add sugar to egg yolks and beat well until smooth and pale then add in salt and melted butter, beat
- Stir baking powder into flour then add to yolk mixture along with the milk and coconut mixture, beat
- Fold whites into mixture and bake for around 40 minutes or until a knife can come out of the centre clean. Leave to cool in tin for around 10 mins then out of tin until completely cool
- To make butter cream add all ingredients and beat until smooth and pale, top the cooled cake with the icing and sprinkle toasted coconut on top. Slice and enjoy.
We’d love to hear how you got on with this recipe. Did you like it? Would you recommend others give it a try?
Be the first to comment on this recipe…
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…