Spicy Vegetarian Sloppy Joes
Member recipe by mrsgarbles
ServingsServes 1 - 4 Sandwiches
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, halved
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 1 3/4 cups light beer (drink what's left in the bottle)
- Kosher salt
- 1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 6 whole grain hamburger buns
- Shredded red cabbage or lettuce, pickled jalapeno and scallions, for serving, optional
- Pulse the mushrooms in batches in a food processor until finely chopped. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions, 1 tablespoon beer and 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the walnuts and peppers and cook, stirring occasionally, until the peppers are crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms, 3/4 teaspoon black pepper and chipotle powder and cook, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms are just cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining beer, the ketchup, tomato paste and 1/8 teaspoon salt and cook while stirring until the sauce is the consistency that you like, about 2 minutes.
- Spoon the mixture onto each bun. Serve with toppings if desired.
We’d love to hear how you got on with this recipe. Did you like it? Would you recommend others give it a try?
Be the first to comment on this recipe…
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…