Asparagus and Mushroom Quiche
Member recipe by julian1964
- Asparagus,sliced 5 stems.
- 2 Slices of Bacon
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- Mushroom\'s sliced
- 200 ml Cream
- 100 ml Milk
- 5 free range eggs beaten
- Salt & Pepper for seasoning
- Pinch of thyme.
- For The Pastry
- 175g of Plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 oz ( 25g ) Softened Butter
- 1 oz ( 25g) softened Lard
- A little cold water
- Heat a small amount of oil in a non stick frying pan and put it on a low heat.Add the bacon,onions,asparagus,mushrooms and cook for 4/5 minutes.
- Combine the eggs with the cream and milk and season well then add all the other ingredients together.sprinkle the thyme over the top.Bake to 30/40 minutes or until set.
- Remove from the oven and allow to set.Trim the pastry edges to get the perfect edge.
- Making the pastry
- Begin by sifting the flour and pinch of salt into a large bowl, Now add the lard and butter, cut into smallish lumps, then take a knife and begin to cut the fat into the flour. Go on doing this until it looks fairly evenly blended, then begin to rub the fat into the flour using your fingertips only and being as light as possible. As you gently rub the fat into the flour.Now sprinkle 1 tablespoon of water in, then, with a knife, start bringing the dough together, using the knife to make it cling. Then discard the knife and, finally, bring it together with your fingertips. When enough liquid is added, the pastry should leave the bowl fairly clean. If this hasn\'t happened, then add a spot more water. Now place the pastry in a polythene bag and leave it in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 190 C / 375 F / gas mark 5.
- Remove the Pastry case from the fridge and line the base of the pastry with baking parchment and then fill in with baking beans.Place on a baking tray and bake blind for 20 minutes.Remove the beans and parchment and return to the oven to cook for another 5 minutes to cook the base.
We’d love to hear how you got on with this recipe. Did you like it? Would you recommend others give it a try?
Be the first to comment on this recipe…
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…