Member recipe by julian1964
- oil, for greasing
- 200g/7oz butter
- 200g/7oz caster sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- 4 free-range eggs
- 200g/7oz self-raising flour, sifted
- ½ jar strawberry jam
- 175ml/6fl oz double cream, whipped
- 2-3 tbsp icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 190C/350F/Gas 5. Grease and line 2 x 20cm/8in sandwich tins.
- Mix the butter, sugar and vanilla essence in a bowl or food processor until well combined.
- Slowly beat in the eggs one by one. Fold in the sifted flour and carefully pour the mixture into the prepared tins.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden-brown. Test by pushing a skewer into the centre of the cake. If the skewer comes out clean the cake is ready.
- Turn the cake out onto a wire rack and set aside to cool.
- Spread one cake with the raspberry jam, followed by a layer of whipped cream. Cover with the raspberries and place the other cake on top.
- To serve, dust with icing sugar and cut the cake into slices.
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…