Member recipe by charl91
- For the cake:
- 10oz self raising flour
- 8oz caster sugar
- 8oz butter (softened)/margarine
- 4 medium eggs
- 3 tbsp milk
- 5 tbsp espresso powder
- For the icing:
- 8oz icing sugar
- 6oz butter (softened)/margarine
- 4oz cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to GM6
- Cream the sugar and butter together until very light in colour and smooth. Add the eggs and mix well (if the mixture curdles at all add some flour, a tbsp at a time, and mix in well).
- Sift in the flour and mix until smooth. Add milk and stir again.
- Add the coffee powder a tbsp at a time and combine well.
- Grease two 9" circle tins with butter and coat in flour. Split the mixture between the two equally and level with the back of a spoon. Bake in the middle of the oven for 35 - 40 mins (poke a skewer into the centre, if cooked it will come out clean).
- For the icing: Sift the icing sugar and cocoa powder into the butter and cream together. Smother a third of the icing all over the top of one sponge and sandwich the other on top. Cover the top of this sponge with the rest of the icing.
We’d love to hear how you got on with this recipe. Did you like it? Would you recommend others give it a try?
Be the first to comment on this recipe…
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…