Healthy Superfood Flapjacks
Member recipe by emmalousmurth
ServingsServes 1 - 12 Squares
Great for quick tasty breakfast or a mid morning snack, low in sugar, low gi and packed full of nutrients and antioxidants.
- 300g roughly chopped dates
- 220g oats (whatever kind you have to hand - I use regular rolled oats)
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds
- A generous handful of blueberries
- A dash of cinnamon or nutmeg (optional)
- 4 tbsp light brown sugar (or whatever kind you have to hand)
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 100g unsalted butter
- Preheat your oven to 180C/160C fan Gas 4 and grease a shallow 7" square tin/pan.
- Put the dates in a small pan with about 4 tablespoons of water and heat gently, stirring, until they form a stiff paste. If it's looking a little dry add more water and heat a bit more.
- Whilst that's happening you can measure out your oats in a separate bowl and add the pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, blueberries, spices and roughly mix them all together.
- Put the sugar, syrup, honey and butter into another large saucepan and heat gently, stirring to melt it all together. Add the oat mix and date paste then mix well.
- Press into your tin/pan and bake for about 25 minutes or until set and light golden brown. Cut into squares when warm but leave to cool in the tin.
- Store in an airtight container and use within a week, although I seriously doubt they'll last that long!
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…