Bombay Potatoes (Aloo)
Member recipe by sweetunique
- 500g potatoes - Aloo
- 2 tbs vegetable oil
- ÃÂ½ large onion - diced
- 2.5cm cube of fresh ginger - shredded (or 1 tsp ginger powder)
- 1 tsp chilli powder (optional)
- 1 tsp (white) cumin seeds - jeera
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp mango powder (optional)
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp sesimi seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric
- Scrub the potatoes well and cut to bite size (no need to peel). Place potatoes in a pan of salted boiling water and boil until cooked but still firm.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a frypan. Fry the cumin and mustard seeds until they start to pop, put to one side.
- Fry the ginger for about a minute, put to one side.
- Fry the onion until opaque not quite soft, then add the turmeric, mango powder, chili powder and cook together for 2 minutes. Combine the cumin, mustard seeds, sesimi seeds and cooked ginger with the spiced onion adding a little of the potato's salt water if needed to form a runny paste and add the garam masala.
- Add the potatoes to the fry pan mixture and stir gently until fully coated.
- Serve Bombay potato - Bombay aloo hot or cold.
- Calories in a portion (200g) of Bombay potatoes: 200kcal+
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…