Gluten Free Gingerbread Men
Member recipe by lauren
ServingsServes 1 - 12 Biscuits
Delicious, gluten free gingerbread men who taste like they should!
- 225g rice flour (plus extra for dusting the work top)
- 125g gram flour
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 100g butter
- 175g dark soft brown sugar
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- 1 egg
- icing sugar, water and decorations
- In a food processor combine the flours, xanthan gum, spices and bicarbonate of soda. Whizz the ingredients to mix them thoroughly. Add the butter and process again till the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add the sugar and process again.
- Add the golden syrup and egg and process until the mixture starts to come together. Tip out onto a (rice) floured surface and form the dough into a smooth ball. Wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Take out the fridge and roll to the thickness of a ÃÂ£1 coin. Use a gingerbread man cutter (or any cutter you like) and cut out as many shapes as you can, re-rolling the left overs to use it all up.
- Heat the oven to 180C/160C fan. Line a baking sheet with non stick baking parchment (reusable is best) and bake the cookies for approx 12 minutes until nicely browned but not burnt. Leave to cool on the tray for 5 mins then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- While the biscuits are cooling, mix some icing sugar with enough water to make a fairly stiff icing, adding food colouring if you wish. We decorate ours with smartie buttons (the Aldi equivilant are GF and jelly belly beans work well too). Decorate as you please. Now watch them disappear!!
- Taken from my blog www.cookingforkenza.com
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…