- 2 long slices rye bread
- 4 tbsp soft cheese
- 2 fillets hot smoked peppered mackerel (about 150g/5½oz), skinned and flaked
Mackerel is a firm-fleshed, torpedo-shaped sea fish. Whole mackerel weigh in around 10-12oz (…
- 1 fennel bulb, cored and thinly sliced
Like Marmite, fennel is something that you either love or hate - its strong aniseed flavour…
- ½ small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp small caper
Capers are the small flower buds of the Capparis shrub, which grows in the Mediterranean. As…
- 1 lemon, ½ juiced, ½ wedges
Oval in shape, with a pronouced bulge on one end, lemons are one of the most versatile fruits…
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- small bunch chives, snipped
Toast the bread until crisp, then spread over the soft cheese. Divide the smoked mackerel between the toasts.
In a small bowl, mix the fennel, onion, capers, lemon juice, oil, chives and some seasoning. Spoon over the fish toasts, with lemon wedges for squeezing over.