Thai Red Prawn Curry
Member recipe by goosepa
- 250g raw grey prawns, shells removed & deveined
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tin coconut milk
- 1 green chilli (or more if you like it spicier)
- 1 inch ginger, peeled and chopped/grated
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
- Spices: 2 tsp ground turmeric, 12 black peppercorns, 3 cloves, 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 fresh lemon (or 1 tbsp lemon juice but do use fresh)
- Fry the onion, ginger, chillies until the onion is soft and translucent. Add the garlic and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Grind the spices in a pestle & mortar and add to the pan. Cook for a minute or so, stirring all the time to temper the spices.
- Add the tomatoes and the sugar. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Open the tin of coconut milk. If it has split into thin mlik and coconut cream, pour off the thin milk and add the thick coconut cream to the pan. If your milk is well mixed then add half the tin to the pan. It will still be very good but I prefer to add the thick coconut cream over the thinner milk.
- Bring to the boil and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the prawns and cook until pink. It will only take a few minutes. Take care not to over cook them.
- Add the coriander and 1tbsp fresh lemon juice to lift the flavour. Season. Serve immediately.
We’d love to hear how you got on with this recipe. Did you like it? Would you recommend others give it a try?
Be the first to comment on this recipe…
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…