Spicy Lamb & Carrot Meatballs
Member recipe by mustardcomms
Counts as 4 of your 5-a-day and contains over a third of your RDA of vitamin C and iron. For more carrot recipes visit www.britishcarrots.co.uk
- 450g/1lb carrots, peeled and coarsely grated
- 1 (400g) pack lean lamb mince
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 50g/2oz fresh brown breadcrumbs
- 30ml/2tbsp chopped fresh or 5ml/1tsp dried mint
- 5ml/1tsp ground cumin
- 5ml/1tsp ground coriander
- 2.5ml/1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1 egg yolk
- 30ml/2tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (700g) bottle passata sauce with basil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Coarsely grate the carrots and reserve half for the sauce. Place the remainder in a bowl with the mince, garlic, breadcrumbs, mint, spices and egg yolk and mix together. Divide into 28 pieces then roll each into a small ball. If time allows, chill for 20 mins.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan, when hot, add a little of the oil and the meatballs. Cook over a high heat for about 8 mins, shaking the pan occasionally to turn the meatballs until they are golden brown all over.
- Stir in the chopped onion and remaining carrots then fry for a further 2 mins. Pour in the passata sauce, season well, then cover and simmer uncovered for 6-8 mins until the sauce has thickened slightly. Serve with freshly cooked pasta.
We’d love to hear how you got on with this recipe. Did you like it? Would you recommend others give it a try?
Be the first to comment on this recipe…
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…