- 6 garlic clove, unpeeled
- 1 small onion, cut into thick slices
Onions are endlessly versatile and an essential ingredient in countless recipes. Native to Asia…
- 1 ancho chilli or large red dried chilli, deseeded and trimmed
Part of the capsicum family, chillies come in scores of varieties and colours (from green…
- 4 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 4 tbsp cider vinegar
- 4 x 150g skinless salmon fillets
- 1 lime, zested, then cut into wedges
The same shape, but smaller than…
- 200g crème fraîche or soured cream
- chopped coriander, to serve (optional)
Blacken the whole garlic and the onion slices on all sides in a large, dry non-stick frying pan. Remove, cool briefly, then peel the garlic cloves. Soak the ancho chilli in boiling water for 15 mins, drain, then place in a blender with the sugar, cider vinegar, garlic, onion and some salt and pepper. Whizz to a smooth sauce.
Heat the grill. Brush each salmon fillet liberally with the sauce and save any remaining. Grill for 8 mins. Meanwhile, mix the lime zest with the crème fraîche. Serve the fish with extra chilli sauce, a dollop of the crème fraîche and lime wedges for squeezing over. Sprinkle with coriander, if you like, and serve with green beans or rice and a salad.