- 2 tbsp olive oil
Probably the most widely-used oil in cooking, olive oil is pressed from fresh olives. It's…
- 2 skinless boneless chicken breast fillet or 4 boneless thighs, cut into strips
- 1 red onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 2 orange peppers, halved, deseeded and sliced thickly
Sometimes called bell peppers or capsicums, these sweet, mild peppers come in variety of colours…
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 100g long grain rice
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 300ml chicken stock
- 4 tbsp ready-made pesto (you'll find long-life jars on the shelves with pasta sauces or more expensive fresh pots in the chiller cabinet)
Pesto is a generic Italian name for any sauce made by pounding ingredients together.
Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Heat the oil in a large, shallow ovenproof pan, add the chicken and cook for 3-4 mins until golden all over. Remove from pan and set aside.
Add the onion and peppers, and cook for 3 mins or until lightly golden. Tip in the garlic and fry for a min. Stir in the rice, then the tomatoes, stock and reserved chicken. Turn up the heat and bring to the boil before transferring to the oven to cook, uncovered, for 20 mins. Season to taste and drizzle over the pesto before serving.