'BRITS' BREAD & BUTTER PUDDING
Member recipe by jbmummy
Rhubarb and Strawberry couldn't be more British... a deliciously creamy version of an old favourite.
- 8 large chunky slices of day-old bread (homemade is ideal)
- 100g butter, softened
- 8 tbsp stewed (sweetened) rhubarb
- 200g British strawberries (best flavour)
- 300ml semi-skimmed milk
- 300ml double cream
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla essence
- 4tbsp golden caster sugar
- icing sugar, to dust
- Spread each slice of bread with butter and 1tbsp rhubarb. Arrange in rows in a large ovenproof dish. Hull the strawberries and place halves between each slice of bread.
- Beat together milk, cream, eggs, vanilla essence and sugar and pour over the prepared bread and fruit and leave to soak for 25-30 minutes. Preheat oven to 160C/140C fan/Gas 3.
- Dust pudding with icing sugar and bake for 45mins-1 hour until puffy and nearly set.
- Serve hot or warm with custard/whipped cream/ice cream.