Spiced Mackerel Empanadas
Member recipe by cannedfood
ServingsServes 1 - 10 Portions
- 675g (1½ lb) short crust pastry
- 2 x 125g cans of mackerel fillets in brine, drained & flaked
- ½ bunch spring onions, washed & finely chopped
- 420g can borlotti beans, drained and rinsed
- Grated zest & juice of one lime
- 1 tablespoon madras curry paste
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of sugar
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 6, 200ÂºC, 400ÂºF.
- In a bowl, combine the mackerel fillets with the spring onions, borlotti beans, lime juice and zest, and curry paste. Season with black pepper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry to Â½cm thick. Using a 15cm (6â) saucer cut out ten rounds. Whisk together the egg, egg yolk, salt and sugar for the glaze and set to one side.
- To make each empanada, place a dessertspoon of the fish mixture on one half of each pastry round. Dampen the edges of the pastry with water and fold over to form a turnover, sealing the edges together. Gently bend each filled pastry to form a crescent shape.
- Place the empanadas on a baking tray and brush with the glaze.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. Serve warm.
We’d love to hear how you got on with this recipe. Did you like it? Would you recommend others give it a try?
Be the first to comment on this recipe…
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…