Caramelised Golden Delicious
Member recipe by ashleigh_red
South African Golden Delicious apples have a deep yellow skin and are very sweet to taste. They are available from February to October in major UK supermarkets.
- Baked rooibos tea cream
- 675ml pouring cream
- 2 rooibos tea bags
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped
- 105g caster sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- Caramelised apples
- 2-3 South African Golden Delicious apples, thinly sliced
- 15g caster sugar
- Knob of butter
- Serve with: Lemon Sorbet
- For the baked rooibos tea cream, preheat the oven to 160ÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂ°C. Combine the cream, tea bags and vanilla in a saucepan over a medium heat and stir occasionally until hot (5 minutes).
- Remove from the heat, cover and stand to infuse (1 hour).
- Whisk the sugar and yolks in a bowl until pale and creamy (3-4 minutes).
- Remove the tea bags and reheat the cream over a medium heat until hot, then gradually pour onto the yolk mixture, gently stirring to combine.
- Strain through a fine sieve into a jug, pressing to remove as many seeds as possible from the vanilla bean and discarding the bean afterwards.
- Stand for 5 minutes, and then skim the foam from the surface. Divide evenly among six 250ml ovenproof glasses.
- Place the glasses on a folded tea towel placed in a deep roasting pan, ensuring they are sitting level. Fill the pan with enough hot water to come two-thirds of the way up the sides of the glasses and cover with foil.
- Pierce a few holes in the foil with a skewer to release the steam, then bake until set, but with a slight wobble (30-35 minutes).
- Whilst the custards are baking,melt the butter in a non-stick frying pan and add the apple. Sprinkle over the sugar and cook over a low heat, turning occasionally, until the apples are tender and golden brown.
- Remove the custards from the oven, remove the foil and stand in the water until cool (30-40 minutes). Remove from the water, dry the glasses and refrigerate until chilled and firm (2 hours). Divide the apples among the custards, top with lemon sorbet (if required) and serve immediately.
We’d love to hear how you got on with this recipe. Did you like it? Would you recommend others give it a try?
Be the first to comment on this recipe…
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…