Member recipe by janjam
- 60g butter
- 125g golden syrup
- 100g plain flour
- 25g self raising flour
- 1teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 heaped teaspoon ground ginger
- 0.5 teaspoon mixed spice
- 100g caster sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 125ml milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- Grease and line a 20cm square cake tin or a 2lb loaf tin. Pre-heat oven to 170c/gas mark 3. I've got a fan oven to I set mine to 160c.
- Put butter and golden syrup ina small saucepan and melt over a low heat, stirring occasionally, then remove from heat.
- Sift both flours, the soda and the spices into a mixing bowl. Add the sugar and salt , give it a good stir, then add the egg and milk mixing until smooth. Gradually add the melted butter/syrup mix, stirring until well combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin and bake for 50-55mins (fan oven I would say 40-45mins) until risen and firm to the touch. Allow to cool in the tin for 5mins before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…