Sizzling Prawns & Scallops
Member recipe by tracytrueman
Lovely prawns and scallops in a mouth watering sauce which is delicious mopped up with some crusty bread. Listen to the sizzle as its served up on a sizzling plate! It seems like a lot of ingredients but is definitely worth it. Use as many prawns and/or scallops as you see fit. Can adjust sauce to suit number of guests - e.g. double the amounts to serve 4. Once you've made it once you will have a better feel for how far the sauce will go around.
- 1 bag scallops (size dependent on how many you want!)
- 1 bag raw prawns (ditto about size)
- salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon dry vermouth
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Sauce mixture:
- 4 tablespoons chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine (sake) or dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornflour
- To cook:
- 3 tablespoons groundnut or corn oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons minced root ginger
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 2 teaspoons chilli paste with garlic
- 1/2 cucumber; peeled and cut into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Put sizzler plates in oven. Rub prawns and scallops with salt, leave for 5 minutes, and rinse with water very quickly for about 2 seconds.
- Pat dry the prawns and scallops. In a bowl, toss them with the marinade; set aside for 30 minutes.
- In a bowl, mix together the chicken stock, soy sauce, rice wine, sugar and cornflour; set aside.
- Preheat a wok over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of the oil and half the salt. Add prawns and scallops to the hot oil, stir-fry for about 1 minute. When prawns turn pink and scallops begin to feel firm to the touch, remove from the wok; set aside.
- Reheat the wok. Add 1 tablespoon oil. Add the ginger, garlic, remaining salt, spring onions and chilli paste; cook gently for 15 seconds. Turn heat to high; toss in the cucumber. Stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add the sauce mixture and stir quickly to thicken.
- Return the prawns and scallops to the wok, add the vinegar and sesame oil; quickly toss for a few seconds to reheat.
- As soon as they are finished, transfer them to the sizzler plates and quickly pour the mixture onto the hot platter and listen to it sizzle. Serve with crusty bread to mop up the sauce.
We’d love to hear how you got on with this recipe. Did you like it? Would you recommend others give it a try?
Be the first to comment on this recipe…
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…