Spicy beetroot soup
Member recipe by deniseandmartin
- 1oz butter (25g)
- 8oz raw beetroot peeled and grated (225g)
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1tbsp grated ginger
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped
- 1tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 11/2 pt veg or chicken stock (900ml)
- 300g tin chopped tomatoes
- 7oz creme fraiche (200g) plus extra to garnish
- small sprigs rosemary
- melt the butter and gently fry the beetroot, onion, ginger and carrots in a pan for 5-6 minutes.
- stir in the spices and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- add the stock and tomatoes and season with black pepper.
- cover and simmer for 30 minutes until the beetroot is tender. Liquidise in a blender and stir in the creme fraiche.
- Ladle into dishes and garnish with a dollop of creme fraiche and sprig of rosemary.
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…