Beef Damson Pots
Member recipe by bec_ashworth
Delicious slow cook combining beef, damsons, star anise and red wine. Recipe adapted from the Westmorland Damson Association.
- 450g (1lb) lean beef braising steak, cubed
- 1 tbsp seasoned plain flour
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 stick of celery, chopped
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 parsnips, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 star anise
- 10 peppercorns (optional)
- 600ml (1pt) damson wine or red wine
- 2 tbsp damson jam
- 12-15 fresh (or frozen) damsons, or 8 red plums, stoned and halves
- Preheat the oven to 180/ Gas Mark 4
- Toss the braising steak in the flour. Heat the oil in a large pan, add the meat and brown. Add the celery, onion, garlic, parsnips and carrots and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add the star anise and peppercorns (if using).
- Mix together the damson/ red wine and the damson jam. Pour over the meat/ veg mix. Season with salt and ground black pepper and bring to the boil.
- Transfer to an ovenproof casserole dish and cook for 1 hour, until the meat is tender.
- After the hour, add the damsons (or plums) and cook for a further 30 minutes. Remove the star anise before serving.
- Serve with steamed green beans and crispy roast potatoes or rustic brown bread to mop up the juices.
We’d love to hear how you got on with this recipe. Did you like it? Would you recommend others give it a try?
Be the first to comment on this recipe…
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…