Beef and beetroot casserole
Member recipe by sonofabob
ServingsServes 1 - 4 Portions
- 1kg lean braising steak, cut into 4cm cubes, discarding any fat
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions chopped
- 4 rashers bacon chopped
- 1 heaped tbsp plain flour
- 300ml red wine
- 200ml beef stock
- 1tbsp clear honey
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 allspice berries
- salt and pepper
- 200g pack cooked whole chestnuts
- 250g pack cooked beetroot in natural juices, not pickled
- Heat oven to 170/150, gas mark 3
- Heat the oil in a deep ovenproof pan (with a lid), and brown the beef in batches. Remove from the pan
- Fry the onions and bacon in the same pan for 5 mins
- Return the beef to the pan and sprinkle over the flour. Stir and cook until thickened.
- Add the wine and stock, then bring to the boil.
- Add the honey, cinnamon stick, allspice berries and season well.
- Put lid on and place in the oven for 1.5 hours.
- Halve any large beetroots then add to the dish along with the chestnuts. Add more stock if needed, then cook for a further 30 mins
- Serve and enjoy :)
We’d love to hear how you got on with this recipe. Did you like it? Would you recommend others give it a try?
Be the first to comment on this recipe…
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…