Beef & Ale Hot Pot
Member recipe by sweetunique
- 6 potatoes, thickly sliced
- 1 large carrots, sliced
- 1 large leek, sliced
- ÃÂ½ small swede, cubed
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp tomato puree
- 1 lb beef stew meat, cubed
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp flour
- 150 ml beef stock
- 150 ml brown ale
- 2 tbsps butter, melted
- salt & pepper
- ÃÂ½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- Heat a little oil in frying pan & brown stew meat along with onions & carrots, leek & swede to soften slightly.
- add beef stock, worcestershire sauce, all herbs, salt & pepper, tomato puree & ale, stir adding flour to thinken and simmer for 5-10 mins.
- Transfer into large casserole oven dish.
- Blanch the sliced potatoes in a pan of boiling water for 3-5 mins, drain.
- Layer sliced potatoes onto beef casserole mix. Brush the potatoes with melted butter.
- Cover up & bake for 1 hr.
- Remove the hot pot from the oven. Uncover & brush the potatoes again with melted butter.Return to the oven for a further 15mins, uncovered, to brown the potatoes.
- Serve garnished with parsley.
- Tip; sprinkle grated cheddar on top of the potatoes 5 mins before cooking time is complete....yummy.
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…