- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
A variety of oils can be used for baking. Sunflower is the one we use most often at Good Food as…
- 3 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp black onion seeds (kalonji or nigella)
- 1 tsp turmeric
Turmeric is a fragrant, bright golden-yellow root that is most commonly seen and used dried and…
- 2 pineapple peeled, cored and chopped into small chunks
With its tuft of spiky, dusty green leaves and cross-hatched, golden orange skin, the pineapple…
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- thumb-sized piece ginger, finely chopped
Mainly grown in Jamaica, Africa, India, China and Australia, ginger is the root of the plant. It…
- 250g soft light brown sugar
- 175ml cider vinegar
Heat the oil in a large heavy-based pan. Tip in the onions and spices and cook for 5 mins until fragrant. add the rest of the ingredients plus 1 tsp salt and simmer for 1 hr until dark golden and thick. Pour into sterilised jars and allow to cool before covering.
To sterilise jars, wash in hot soapy water, rinse well and dry in the oven at 180C/160 fan/ gas 4 for 10 mins just before filling. Once stored in sterilised jars, this chutney will keep for up to 1 year.