Balsamic Caramelised Onions
Member recipe by sylveb
- 1tsp Oil
- 700g Onions, finely sliced (use red for a sweeter taste)
- 1tbsp Caster Sugar
- 1tsp Salt
- pinch Pepper
- 2tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- Put all the ingredients apart from the vinegar in a slow cooker - or a very low oven or aga (50degreesC)
- Let it cook all day - and all night if it needs it - untill the onions are soft and dark brown and reduced. If it is crisping the heat is too high. You may need to stirr it occasionally - but i usually just leave it.
- Cook for the last half hour without a lid - to help it dry out a bit.
- Stirr in the balsamic vinegar. Done!
- I serve this with Lamb or Beef - but I also keep pots of it in the freezer to top homemade bread - or to put on puff pastry with brie.
We’d love to hear how you got on with this recipe. Did you like it? Would you recommend others give it a try?
Be the first to comment on this recipe…
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…