Member recipe by ankieplankie
- 250g/9oz macaroni
- 40g/1½oz butter
- 40g/1½ plain flour
- 600ml/1pint 1½fl oz milk
- 250g/9oz grated cheddar
- 50g/2oz grated parmesan.
- Cook the macaroni in a large saucepan of boiling salted water for 8-10 minutes; drain well and set aside.
- Melt the butter over a medium heat in a saucepan slightly larger than that used for the macaroni. Add the flour and stir to form a roux, cooking for a few minutes.
- Gradually whisk in the milk, a little at a time. Cook for 10-15 minutes to a thickened and smooth sauce.
- Meanwhile, preheat the grill to hot.
- Remove the sauce from the hob, add 175g/6oz of the cheese and stir until the cheese is well combined and melted.
- Add the macaroni to the sauce and mix well. Transfer to a deep suitably-sized ovenproof dish.
- Sprinkle over the remaining cheddar and the parmesan and place the dish under the hot grill. Cook until the cheese is browned and bubbling. Serve straightaway.
We’d love to hear how you got on with this recipe. Did you like it? Would you recommend others give it a try?
Be the first to comment on this recipe…
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…