- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
Onions are endlessly versatile and an essential ingredient in countless recipes. Native to Asia…
- 3cm root ginger, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic clove, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp hot chilli powder or ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 230g can chopped tomatoes
- 350g potato, peeled and cut into rough chunks
The world's favourite root vegetable, the potato comes in innumerable varieties. A member of…
- 500g boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3cm chunks
Chicken's many plus points - its versatility, as well as the ease and speed with which it…
- ½ tsp garam masala
Meaning 'warming spice mix', garam masala is the main spice blend used in North Indian…
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- natural yogurt, to serve
Blitz the onion, ginger and garlic in a food processor with 1 tbsp water until smooth.
Fry the cumin seeds in oil for a few seconds. Add the onion paste and brown over a medium heat. Add a dash of water if it starts to catch.
Sprinkle in the turmeric and chilli. Add the tomatoes and fry for 5 minutes. Stir in the potatoes and 250ml/9fl oz hot water. Cook covered for 10 minutes.
Add the chicken and garam masala. Simmer for 15-20 minutes until cooked. Season with salt. Tip into a bowl, scatter over coriander and serve with flavoured rice and natural yogurt.