Member recipe by sebastien100
- 2 1/2 cups white flour
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, broken into small pieces
- 5 tbsp. cold vegetable shortening
- 8 tbsp. ice water
- 1/3 to 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 8 medium sized apples (a medium apple = about 1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- Measure the flour, sugar and salt togetherl. Stir to combine.
- Add the chilled butter pieces and shortening to the bowl. Cut them in with a pastry cutter or knife. Don't over mix them.
- Add the ice water. Mix until the dough holds together (add a bit more water, if necessary).
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface, knead it together, then divide in half.
- Flatten each half into a disk, wrap in saran wrap and chill for at least half an hour.
- Roll out one of the disks on a lightly floured surface until you have a circle that's about 12 inches in diameter.
- Put the circle in a 9" pie plate, trimming any extra dough from the edges with a sharp knife (parents only). Return it to the refrigerator until you are ready to make the pie.
- # Add filling (see below) # Roll out the second ball of dough and cover top. Use a fork or your fingers to pinch the edges together. cut a couple slits in the top.
- # Heat oven to 425 degrees. # Peel, core and slice the apples. Try to keep the size of the slices even. # Mix sugar, flour, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt in large bowl. # Stir in apples.
- * Pour into pastry-lined pie plate. * Dot with margarine. * Cover with top crust and seal the edges. Cut slits in the top. * OPTIONAL: Cover edge with 3-inch strip of aluminum foil to prevent too much browning. o Remove foil during last 15 minutes of baking. * Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until crust is brown and juice begins to bubble through slits in crust.
We’d love to hear how you got on with this recipe. Did you like it? Would you recommend others give it a try?
Be the first to comment on this recipe…
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…