Tasty mince pies
Member recipe by beckynoon
ServingsServes 1 - 36 Pies
- For the pastry:
- 12 oz plain flour
- 3 oz lard
- 3 oz margarine
- A pinch of salt
- Cold water
- 1½ lb mincemeat
- For the top:
- Icing sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 6, 400ÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂ°F (200ÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂ°C) For the normal 2 ÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂ½ inch (6 cm) patty tins youÃÂÃÂ¢ÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂll need one fluted 3 inch (7.5 cm) pastry cutter, and one fluted 2 ÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂ½ inch (6 cm) cutter.
- Make up the pastry and allow it to rest for 20-30 minuets. Then roll half of it out to about 1/8 inch (3mm) thick and cut it out into 3 dozens 3 inch (7.5 cm0 rounds, gathering up the scraps and re0-rolling again. Then do the same with the other half of the pastry , this time using the 2 ÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂ½ inch (6 cm) cutter.
- Now grease the patty tins lightly and line them with the large rounds; fill these with the mincemeat (not too much -only to the level of the edges of the pastry).
- Now dampen the edges of the smaller rounds of pastry with water and press them lightly into the position to form lids, sealing the edges. Brush each one with milk and make about three snips in the top with a pair of scissors.
- Bake near the top of the oven for 20-25 minuets until theyÃÂÃÂ¢ÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂre a light golden-brown. Then cool them on a wire tray and sprinkle with sifted icing sugar. Store the cooled mince pies in an airtight tin and warm them slightly before serving.
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…