Bacon and Spinach Cheese Bake
Member recipe by natashachamberlin
I love to cook and am always trying out new and different things. I love to experiment in the kitchen. This is one of my experiment recipes that I did once. It proved so successful that I have passed this recipe on to family and friends.
- 300g Macaroni
- 24 rashes of bacon chopped
- 450g Spinach
- 1 large Onion finely chopped
- 2 Spring Onions
- 2 Cloves of Garlic finely chopped
- 300g Cheese Grated
- 3 tbs Soft Cheese
- 50g Butter
- 50g Flour
- 150ml Double Cream
- 500ml Milk
- Olive Oil or oil of your choice
- Preheat your oven to 200 dc. Now put the milk, cream and soft cheese and a pinch of salt and pepper into a large jug or bowl and whisk together until all the ingredients are blended together. Now put the butter into a sauce pan and let it melt. Once the butter has melted, add the flour to the butter and mix together so if forms a thick paste.
- Slowly and gradually add the milk mixture to the flour and butter whisking as you do so. Keep doing this until all of the milk mixture is mixed in with the butter and flour. Keep whisking or mixing so the mixture does not become lumpy. While still mixing the sauce add 150g of the grated cheese and stir in to the sauce. Keep stirring until the sauce thickens to the consistency of double cream. Then put the sauce aside.
- Put a pot of water on the stove and add a pinch of salt and a tea spoon of oil. Leave the water to boil. Once the water starts to boil then add the macaroni and cook to the time it suggests on the packet. Once the macaroni is cooked then drain and put into a large casserole dish or roasting tin.
- Now put some oil into a pan and heat it up. Put the onions, spring onions and bacon into the pan and cook until soft and golden. Once cooked add the onions, spring onions and bacon to the dish with the macaroni.
- Now put the spinach and garlic to the pan and fry until cooked. Once the spinach is cooked add it to the Macaroni dish. Now sprinkle 75g of the grated cheese over the macaroni and mix all of the ingredients together. Now pour the cheese sauce over the macaroni and other ingredients, mix together well so that all of the macaroni has sauce on it.
- Now evenly sprinkle the remaining 75g of cheese on top of the macaroni. Sprinkle a little salt and pepper over the cheese. Put in the oven and cook for 45 to 60 minutes depending on your oven. Serve with a crisp garden salad and a glass of white wine.
We’d love to hear how you got on with this recipe. Did you like it? Would you recommend others give it a try?
Be the first to comment on this recipe…
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…