Tomato and Mint Soup
Member recipe by jordangenevieve
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 dried lime leaves / 2 fresh bay leaves
- 12 tomatoes, finely chopped (6 beef tomatoes and 6 Roma tomatoes gives a richer taste to the end product)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp cake flour
- 200ml milk
- 400ml chicken stock
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 100ml fresh cream (optional)
- fresh mint leaves, to serve
- Heat the oil and saute the onion and garlic until softened, about 20 minutes. Add tomatoes and bay leaves, reduce the heat to a gentle simmer and cook uncovered for 10 - 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a pan, add the flour and stir for 1 minute, over medium heat. Slowly pour in the milk and stock, stirring continuously until smooth. Cook until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the sauce to the tomato mixture and discard the lime/bay leaves. Mix in the chopped mint, sugar and cream (if using). Gently simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Garnish with mint leaves and serve with crusty bread.
We’d love to hear how you got on with this recipe. Did you like it? Would you recommend others give it a try?
Be the first to comment on this recipe…
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…