Member recipe by vstothard
- 2-3 tbsp veg oil
- 1lb 5oz shallots, peeled
- 2lb 12oz boned shoulder of lamb, cubed
- 1lb carrots, peeled, halved or quartered if large
- 3lb medium potatoes, peeled and cut into thick slices
- 6 thyme sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- 1tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- chopped parsley, to serve
- Heat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4 (unless using slow cooker). Heat half the oil in a large frying pan, then fry the shallots until golden, turning often. Remove and set aside. Add another tbsp of oil to the pan, then fry the lambover a high heat until well browned.
- In a 4.8 ltr casserole dish, layer the meat with the shallots, carrots, potatoes and herbs, seasoning in between each layer.
- Mix 850ml cold water with the pan juices and Worcestershire sauce, then pour over the meat. Cover with a piece of buttered greaseproof paper (to keep the dish moist) and a lid, then bake for 2 hours until really tender (4-5 hours in a slow cooker).
We’d love to hear how you got on with this recipe. Did you like it? Would you recommend others give it a try?
Be the first to comment on this recipe…
Unsure about the cooking time or want to swap an ingredient? Ask us your questions and we’ll try and help you as soon as possible. Or if you want to offer a solution to another user’s question, feel free to get involved…
Be the first to ask a question about this recipe…
Got your own twist on this recipe? Or do you have suggestions for possible swaps and additions? We’d love to hear your ideas.
Be the first to suggest a tip for this recipe…