- 3 onion, thinly sliced
Onions are endlessly versatile and an essential ingredient in countless recipes. Native to Asia…
- 3 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 4 tbsp olive oil
Probably the most widely-used oil in cooking, olive oil is pressed from fresh olives. It's…
- 1.2kg mixed tomato, from really big to cherry
A member of the nightshade family (along with aubergines, peppers and chillies), tomatoes are in…
- 8 thyme or oregano sprigs, or a mixture, stripped, plus a few more
This popular herb grows in Europe, especially the Mediterranean, and is a member of the mint…
- 1 tbsp golden caster sugar
- 50-85g fresh white breadcrumbs - if you've got a crust, use this so the crumbs are nice and golden
Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Heat half the oil in a pan and gently soften the onions and garlic for 15-20 mins until really soft and sticky but not browned. Put the onions, tomatoes (halve the large ones), herbs, sugar and breadcrumbs in a baking dish, season well and toss together.
Drizzle with the remaining oil, scatter with a few more herb sprigs and bake for 1 hr until going golden on top and the tomatoes are juicy.