Grow your own potatoes
Follow our potato planting tips and you'll never be stuck for side dish ingredients again.
5. As the potato foliage grows, continue adding mult-purpose compost the container to bury the stems. Keep on doing this as the plants grow until the pot is full.
6. By mid-August the foliage will start to turn yellow - a sign that the crop is ready. Empty the pot, clean off the compost and enjoy the spuds!
Potatoes should be ready to harvest in August, and four seed potatoes will give a crop of around 2.3kg (5lb).
Good varieties to try...
- 1. Charlotte - Tasty, waxy potatoes with good disease resistance.
- 2. Anya - The nutty flavour of 'Pink Fir Apple', but much easier to peel.
- 3. Maris Peer - Firm, creamy potatoes with delicious yellow flesh.