Good Food Blog
Top 10 last minute Jubilee buysPosted at 12:02PM, 28 May 2012 by Sarah Sysum - Assistant editor, Easy Cook magazine
The Jubilee is a historic moment that's well worth a bit of a party. If despite good intentions you've yet to get going on the party planning, here are my top 10 last minute high street buys to ensure you mark the occasion in style.
1. No celebration would be complete without a big jug of Pimm's. I love the bunting design on this acrylic jug. Plastic means it's less heavy to carry and less likely to break. If you like the design you can buy matching beakers, tankards and a wine cooler too.
M&S Jubilee 2012 jug, £9.50
2. You can never have too many napkins at a party. Whilst these carry the traditional Union Flag design the floral colours will no doubt appeal to those not going all out red, white & blue.
Accessorize Union Jack napkins, £3.50
3. I always think it's nice to have items you can use after the celebrations. These cute coasters carry a vintage-inspired Bakewell theme. I like the idea of using them as individual cupcake plates.
Cake stand coasters, £6 for 4, Laura Ashley
4. Bunting: don't try to resist, it will be everywhere. This is a little bit different. First it's made from wood so much more showerproof than the traditional paper version and it's heart shaped. For some reason I find this far more palatable than the standard flags. Mine will be staying up all summer.
Sainsbury's TU Heart Union Jack Bunting, £6
5. Smarter than the average paper plates, I like the regal design and the fact they don't flop under the weight of one sausage roll. They're pretty large too so can easily accommodate a round of sarnies. You get 12 plates in a pack, in three different designs.
Talking Tables street party plates, £5, John Lewis
6. This is the bargain of the month, a cake stand for £1. Admittedly it's made from cardboard. But I found it robust enough to cope with a pile of cupcakes, and it was quick to assemble too.
Jubilee 3-tier cake stand, £1, Poundland
7. High street craft stores are becoming a really good source of cake decorating materials. These flag toppers aren't too fragile, which is key especially if you are decorating at the last minute. And whilst not terribly tasty they are completely edible.
Anniversary House Union Jack flag sugar craft toppers, pack of 5, £2.99
8. Crackers - they're no longer just for Christmas. I am delighted about this being something of a cracker addict (quantity not quality for me). Emblazoned with flag and corgi images and tied with a pretty ruby red ribbon at each end, get into the street party spirit.
M&S Royal Jubilee crackers, pack of 6, £5
9. Cupcakes deserve to be adorned in suitably patriotic cases. Lakeland has plenty of designs to choose from but these traditional Union Flag designs win out for me. 5cm diameter and made from greaseproof paper.
30 street party cake cases, £2.49, Lakeland
10. The Jubilee can seem a little London-centric at times. Tesco has tried to readdress this with a tablecover. Made from thick paper. The design incorporates names of towns and cities into the flag.
Cities tablecover, £2.73, larger Tesco stores
Now the decorations are sorted here are some Jubilee recipe ideas to help you decide what to serve.